Top 5 Benefits of Yoga
What is the very first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the word “yoga”? Let me guess, difficult exercises, complicated asanas, tiring workout? Well, if you have any of these misconceptions regarding Yoga, then I would ask you to remove them from your mind as soon as possible because that is not the truth. Yoga isn’t something that was invented a decade ago, rather it is an art form, an art form which was discovered in the ancient times and was originated in India and at that time people didn’t care about getting six packs, rather they cared about mental peace and spirituality.
Yoga is an art that helps you attain the mental peace and fulfil your spiritual needs. These aren’t the only benefits that one gets from Yoga, the benefits of Yoga are countless; they start right from making you a healthy person and go as far as improving your personality. To get you started with Yoga, we’ve listed below some tempting reasons that will make sure you start doing yoga.
Reasons to start doing Yoga
There is hardly any reason that should stop you from practising yoga. Yoga is not just for serious health problems. Even if you do not possess any serious health problem you can still do the little bit of Yoga daily.
Below are some more reasons for you to start doing yoga:
Yoga helps you to get in touch with your body. You might not have felt or used various muscles in your body during your day to day activities. While performing yoga, you will discover many such muscles or pain points which you didn’t even know existed till now in your body.
Yoga can do wonders to get you a good night sleep. It helps in burning the required number of calories and keeps you in good shape that helps in inducing natural sleep. Yoga also decreases the stress levels and calms the mind. The peaceful state of mind helps you to sleep like a baby.
Yoga plays a major role in improving not only the physical strength but also the mental strength. A highly improved mental and physical strength can be achieved through the continuous practice of yoga. Yoga reduces stress and tension which helps in attention, focus and concentration.
Yoga is a great stress buster and it also improves overall work performance. It helps in boosting up the energy levels and decreases the chances of fatigue. Daily practice of simple yoga poses can literally act like magic in your life.
Health benefits of Yoga
- Reduces belly fat: Getting a flat tummy is one of the hardest things to achieve. Stubborn belly fat can be extremely irritating. Yoga for weight loss can be very effective as it helps in two things firstly, it builds stronger muscles and secondly, it boosts your metabolism. These two things are most important components for reducing belly fat. When you have a good metabolism, it means that all the food you eat is getting digested properly and all the energy is being utilized instead of getting stored as fat. When you perform yoga asanas, the energy is consumed by breaking down the fat in your body which helps you in reducing belly fat with yoga.
- Anti-ageing: As you grow old, your body starts getting weaker, less flexible and even slower. Thankfully, with the help of Yoga, you can improve your health and slow down the ageing process. Yoga can also help with diseases like Arthritis and Osteoporosis.
- Better breathing: With increasing pollution and less green exposure, breathing problems like asthma and many lung diseases have become common nowadays. Breathing practices in yoga also known as pranayama can be very effective in improving lung functioning and can help you to get a balanced breathing. It also helps in purifying the blood and the respiratory system which in turn enriches the blood with oxygen.
- Pranayam: Pranayam helps in reducing your stress response which gives you a more relaxed feeling. You just have to focus on your inhalation and exhalation which will help you to get a better respiratory system. Yoga breathing exercises also calm your nervous system which is extremely helpful to the people who are challenged by a respiratory condition.
- Improves posture: A good posture is very important for a healthy body. But poor lifestyle habits such as sitting in front of a computer for long periods of time, carrying heavy bags or constantly looking down at phones etc. are causing people to have really bad postures.
Regular yoga practice stretches and tones the body muscles and strengthens them. It also improves your body posture when you sit, stand, walk or sleep and helps you to get relief from body pain due to incorrect posture. A good posture also improves blood circulation, makes you look taller, improves breathing, improves digestion and most important makes you look and feel confident.
Once you start doing Yoga, it won’t seem like exercising to you at all and will rather become a lifestyle for you. You will be a completely different person when you start doing Yoga. Now, as you’re well aware of the benefits and importance of yoga in your life, pick up your yoga mat and yoga pants and you are good to go. If you think we have missed any benefits of Yoga, then do let us know in the comment section below!