Kayaking with kids
Kayak is a type of boat which is small, narrow and which is used by the means of double-bladed paddle and kayaking is a journey done with the use of kayak across the water.Wherever there is water body you will find people kayaking on them.A traditional kayak has a covered deck with one or more cockpits.
Kayaks of the different range are available and are used for several outdoor water sports and water activities like diving, fishing, exploration and search during natural disasters.
Nowadays Ecotourism based on kayak trips is gaining popularity. In a warm-water vacation destination such as Sarasota keys, there the guided kayak trips take kayakers on a tour to the local ecosystem, wherein kayakers can watch dolphins, breach and manatees eat sea grass in the shallow bay water. Have you heard about Surf Kayaking..? actually it is a sport or can say a technique used in surfing ocean waves using kayaks. Surf kayaking is popular in many areas consisting of surfboard surfers.
In India basically, kayaking is not that famous except few places like Kerala backwaters or Goa and some coastal regions of Maharashtra. We as a family got a chance to do kayaking at Keraka and shaguna baug (a village resort in Karjat). Kayaking is basically the first step to become a great sailor. If you and your family loves to do sailing, then kayaking is the best way to ger closer to water and natural habiat of aquatic life. Kayaking is usually done in slow and calm water as you need to experience and explore the nature and surroundings.
Is not like river rafting where you fight with water currents. Kayaking is more like a picnic on the water where you go and sail smoothly by paddling both sides to move. But before taking your kids, master the art or take expert help. You should know how to do SOS.
List of things to keep in mind while Kayaking:
- A kayak should be equipped with one or more buoyancy aid which prevents a kayak from sinking, when it is filled with water.
- A life jacket should be worn all the time.
- A helmet is often required for most kayaking especially for white water kayaking.
- You should also carry a whistle, which can to ask for help during danger, big ropes to help other kayakers, a diving knife and should wear water shoes.
- Proper clothing such as a wet suit, dry suit or spray top helps a kayakers from cold water and from different air temperatures.
- Make sure you understand the climate, temp, flora and fauna before deciding the kayaking for your family. Kayaking wih kids can teach a lot of things to your kids liks how to paddle, what are types of waves, animals so close to your eyes. You can ask them to see animals using water binoculars. And point down in notebooks. This way kayaking with kids can be very informative and learning experience. It is one of the best adventurous outdoor sport but if you are doing kayaking with kids then you should do it under the guidance and with proper safety measures.
Ps: I am participating in the #BlogchatterA2Z challenge and hence today ’s letter is K and my today’s topic is Kayaking with kids.