As you all know, my baby was born during the pandemic. We didn’t have appropriate clothing for him, so my mom stitched his clothes from old t-shirts and other soft materials to tide us over. But there was only so many clothes she could stitch. This is where online shopping came to our rescue.
The way we look at e-commerce now is more from a necessity lens and not just as a platform for shopping.
The pandemic has brought so many changes in our lives. Most importantly it has made us understand the benefits of e-commerce websites when we need to shop. Today, while planning an outing, we need to consider so many factors. But the online world is all around us and everything is available at the click of a button.
Also Read, 10 Women Entrepreneurs of India 2022
With the current situation, online stores are a boon, not just for you and I as consumers but even for small businesses who have found their margins diminishing.
Let us dive into the benefits of online store delivery facilities:
- Convenient – What I love about online shopping is how it has become a one-stop destination. I can buy my groceries, order my baby’s diapers and some fun activities for my daughter, all from one platform. Customers and potential buyers can be provided with a lot of information that make their shopping experience quicker and easier. The improved customer service means I know any grievances I may have will be quickly resolved.
- Saves times – As a mother of two children and running my own business as a content creator, I don’t always have the time or energy to go out for shopping. Thanks to e-commerce platforms, all I need are 15 minutes, the app and my card. I don’t even have to worry about carrying the bags home, or waiting in payment queues with two cranky children. I make my purchases and they are delivered to me within a week, sometimes the same day!
- Cost efficient – I didn’t think I would say this but sale time on e-commerce platforms is my favourite. I wouldn’t go to a store during sale time, not even before the pandemic hit and now, I only have to wait for the notification to pop up for deals, discounts or festival sales like Big Billion Days on Flipkart to buy all that my home needs. Most of my equipment that I need for creating content has been bought during one or the other sale!
- Information is private – The information shared during the purchase is private and never shared with a third party. Facility of cashless and contactless delivery is an added boon. One can make online payment through credit/debit cards or other online modes. Secure payment processing facilitates the transfer of online payments, client data, and other sensitive information and protects against fraud.
- Wide array of options – In a physical store there is often limited stock but in online stores the options are many. Thus, for online clothes shopping for instance, you have the possibility of getting the design, colour, or fabric that you need. Not just that you also get to choose from smaller designers who create unique and sustainable fashion.
- Anytime and anywhere – With e-commerce sites you can shop anywhere at any point of time. The physical stores close down but the website is operational 24 hours for 7 days a week. There is 24*7 customer support available regarding any queries which is amazing!
- Supporting MSMEs – Small businesses or the MSMEs are promoted on the online forum in many ways. It is through e-commerce sites like Flipkart that I came across quite a few budding businesses I could buy from. These businesses cannot invest on models or stores in prime locations to attract the customers. Here e-commerce platforms are a blessing for MSMEs.
With the way e-commerce sites like Flipkart are providing a platform and customers for new businesses, it won’t be long before MSMEs can rise to fame in the country. Personally, I was amazed looking at all the success stories on Flipkart and how several entrepreneurs have found their dreams coming true.
E-commerce platforms are rightly synonymous with economic stability, growth and security. They can be a channel that showcases MSMEs and brings brand new employment opportunities especially in volatile times. It plays a key role in improving efficiencies and raising revenue, not to mention giving us online shoppers a variety of options to pick from.